“Welcome to the Become a Personal Trainer Headquarters! Here you will find information about certifying organizations we highly recommended! We will help you get through your certification program and on to improving your client’s lives!”
Personal Trainer Certification
Click on a Personal Trainer Organization Below to Check it Out:
Certified Personal Trainer
Becoming a personal trainer or fitness trainer: a certified personal trainer has the opportunity to changes lives and get paid while doing it! The ability to make a difference in someone’s life is extremely important and significant. Considering the alarming rate of obesity in the United States (and worldwide) certified personal trainers are more important than ever!
To become a personal trainer there are a number of accredited organizations that can help you achieve your goals. The certification process can take place online, as a self-study, or in group workshops. Picking the one that best fits your schedule and works best for you is paramount. On the other hand, some trainers are not accredited or even certified, meaning that whether to hire them is at the health clubs or clients discretion. Your chance of getting hired is greatly improved when you are certified. Ready to become a personal trainer?
Certified Personal Trainer Job Description
Once you become a personal trainer or fitness trainer, the majority of certified personal trainers are employed by health clubs and gymnasiums. There they have many duties not only related to personal training but also member orientation. The normal duties of a certified personal trainer at a gym may include:
- Working out individual clients
- Conducting group fitness classes (if certified)
- Making sure equipment and the workout area is clean
- Orientate new members
- Answer phones
- Answer any questions members may have
- Recruit new clients
Personal trainers can also operate their own training company working from home, hospitals, outdoor boot-camps, at clients homes, and at a gym (after working out a deal with the owner).
Personal Trainer Job Market
As stated earlier, once you become a personal trainer the job outlook is great. With a 24% increase in demand in the next 10 years there will be plenty of opportunities. CNN also ranked being a certified personal trainer as the 18th best job in American! If you want to work for a health club or at a hospital your chances of getting hired are great. Likewise, if you want to be your own boss and start your own company or boot-camp you have a great chance of success as well. Everyone wants to improve their health and some are too intimidated to go to the gym! Not to mention the average income of a personal trainer has increased 19% since 2005! Check out the personal training jobs near you: Personal Trainer Jobs Here is a quick list of a certified personal trainers average yearly salary for a number of states via SalarySite.com:
Personal Trainer Salary in Texas: $33,000
Personal Trainer Salary in New York: $41,000
Personal Trainer Salary in Kansas: $32,000
Personal Trainer Salary in Missouri: $35,000
Personal Trainer Salary in California: $39,000
Personal Trainer Salary in Florida: $33,000
There are numerous accredited organizations that you can get certified through and many schools you can attend to get certified so you can become a personal trainer or fitness trainer. This site covers your accredited organizations. Accreditation basically means that the programs have passed the rigorous guidelines of an accreditation board like the National Board of Fitness Examiners (NBFE) or the National Commission of Certifying Agencies (NCCA). These guidelines make sure that the program teaches many aspects of being a personal trainer: not only exercise and physiology but also business practices and legal issues.
When you become a personal trainer, being certified from an accredited organization makes your chances of getting hired much greater. If you do choose a program and don’t know whether it is accredited or not and you notice that the program is too easy to be true, then it probably is! Choose an accredited program from the get-go.
Check out our 13 recommended accredited organizations here:
Types of Personal Trainer Certification Courses
- Group Workshop Personal Trainer Certification – Some accredited organizations offer 3-4 day group workshops in which you can become certified. These are great because they allow you to get in and basically get the certification over with. They also give you a chance to interact one-on-one with a certified instructor that can give you vital information in regard to the practical and paper exam that occur at the end of the workshop.
- The downside is that you cant work at your own pace, and there is a lot of information to process in a relatively quick time. Make sure to study the materials thoroughly before the workshop. Also you have to be on site for usually 3-4 days which can be a burden if you need lodging.
- Online Personal Trainer Certification – Some organizations now offer online course or webinars followed by an online practical and exam, or a exam at a testing center (you get an exam voucher giving you anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to take the exam). These offer a great way to learn at your own pace while utilizing the technology available. They are also very nice because you don’t have to travel to a location to participate in a group workshop.
- The downside is that you can’t interact face-to-face with a certified instructor to get the personal experience. Likewise, the self-paced style can actually make you procrastinate until your exam voucher is almost up.
- Self-Study Personal Trainer Certification – Lastly, the self-study programs can either be only physical study materials, online study materials, or a combination of both. Like the online certifications, you don’t get the face-to-face interactions like you do with the group workshops but many offer support staffs that are available via phone or email to help you in any way possible. These are nice because you can go at your own pace without having to have an internet connection to study (if you choose only physical study materials) as you are becoming a personal trainer.
Becoming a personal trainer or fitness trainer is an amazingly rewarding decision. Whichever course you choose, make sure it is a right fit for you monetarily, in your schedule, and gives you the best chance to succeed. Check out our 13 recommended accredited organizations to see which is best for you: Organizations.